Saturday, May 30, 2009

I don't know where the time goes. This week has just gone by in a heartbeat. Between, watching grandkids, feeding goat kids and household chores I sometimes feel that there is too much to do and too little time and energy to do it all. I got milk on Friday, went to Walmart on Thursday, took care of my grandson on Wednesday and did the laundry one of those days. Anyway, you get the idea.

The flies are starting to get bad. I will have to get some fly traps and spray for the animals. I cleaned out the barn and got rid of all the cat food cans and other garbage that attracts the pesky flies. It is much better but more will be needed. The goats will have their Ivomec treatment again next weekend. We will have to cut hooves again and give the new kids their immunizations.

I got my Angora goat manual this week and have been reading bits and pieces when I get a minute. There is so much to learn and do. I still want to get some info from a different source, something from Southwest breeders. The way the economy is going, I'm thinking of irrigating the pasture and growing grass. I don't know how practical that would be. It is so dry here and the soil is nothing but rocks and caliche. My daughter has mentioned getting a dairy goat too...hmmmm. Don't know if I want to be that tied down. Maybe she would milk it!

Steve fixed the shade cloth over the raised bed today. It needed to be raised up so the gladiolas can grow taller and bloom. I also got my first tomato from my cherry tomato plant. There are five tomato plants out there. I got different sizes and colors. I hope we get lots. There is nothing like the taste of fresh tomatoes. The spinach is doing good too. I should pick some of it soon.

The kids should be weaned in about another month. I find that I am getting anxious to move forward. I want to get the pygoras moved to their new homes, get some new Heritage breed chickens, namely Delawares, and move Falkor to his new pen. At least I have a plan that is ready to go when the time is right. For now, I am enjoying the goat kids and the grandkids.

No comments:

Post a Comment