Thursday, May 21, 2009

We woke up to heavy drizzling rain and zero visibility this morning. Our lone rooster and the wild birds are the only noise. Cool white mist shrouds everything and dampens all sound. The goats are huddled in their shelters. They really hate the rain. The alpacas are content to cush in their barn too. Haven't seen any of the cats and Buddy is enjoying a cool snooze on the front porch. With his thick undercoat and long outer coat, he really enjoys the coolness and damp. As for me, I enjoy the stillness and peace. The rain is a nice change from hot sun, but I am glad it won't last long. Prolonged dark days and dampness tend to depress the spirit. If I wanted lots of rain and damp and dark I would still live in Oregon.

The weatherman seems to think this is just a little storm blown up from Mexico. It is awfully early for monsoon, although, because we live in the desert, we can always use the rain. It will be a good day for spinning and writing.

We are out of hay this morning so I will feed the animals alfalfa and timothy pellets. Then when Steve brings the hay home this evening I will feed them that. They will be all excited to get real hay again. It is only a reverse of the usual schedule, but animals don't realize these things. They are totally reliant on us for wherever their next meal comes from. At least I shouldn't have to fill water buckets so many times today. The rain and damp will keep everybody cool and still. I will be the only one slipping and sliding around on muddy pastures.

Mouth and Bold-Fresh seem to be back to normal, playing and jumping around. Bold-Fresh came to hang out yesterday when I fed Mouth and the other 2 kids are starting to hang out too. I took my youngest grandson and we hung out in the pasture for a little while yesterday when it wasn't raining so much. Mouth, of course, climbs all over me and eats my clothes. The rest of them aren't so sure yet but they will come close enough to touch and chew on my fingers. Little Bones is thriving too. She has a couple of cement blocks in her pen. She loves to climb up and jump off of them. She loves to jump and spin around in mid air. Her brother is a little more reserved, maybe cuz he is still in the pen with Caramel. I am pleased with how they are growing.

No comments:

Post a Comment