Monday, May 18, 2009

After driving to Tucson to see a doctor, I went out and sat on an old crate in the goat pen. Mouth came right over to say hello and to be pet. Bold-Fresh is still mad at me for putting that band on him yesterday and he wouldn't come near. The other 2 kids were very curious and came to check me out. The little doe is so pretty. My daughter said she could not tell the kids apart, but I can! Ha! Bobbin's 2 kids have much nicer fleece than Mouth and Bold-Fresh. It is more dense and more fine. They are more like angoras than pygoras. It was nice to sit quietly, look up at the trees and sky and feel my peace return to me.

I got out my drop spindle and a box full of rolags that I combed out of white alpaca fleece. It is fleece from an alpaca named Sally. The spindle is already almost full enough to put the yarn on a nitty-notty and wash it. Kathy Withers is having a drop spindle contest at the Tucson Fiber Festival in October. I don't think I will enter but it will be fun to watch others compete. For those of you who aren't into fiber or yarn, "spindle", "rolag", and "nitty-notty" are terms used to decribe equipment used to make yarn or, in the case of "rolag", it is a roll of fleece that has been washed and combed and is ready for spinning. I make rolags instead of "roving" because I am "hand carding" the fleece. I would have to send it to a mill to get "roving",which is one long continuous roll, kind of like a whole bunch of rolags attached together, end to end. As you can see, the fiber world and spinning have a whole vocabulary that is unique. Anyway, I want to spin some more so I'll be back later.

No comments:

Post a Comment