Thursday, May 7, 2009

Our little bunny did not make it through a second night. He was too cold and still needed mom's milk I think. I let him rest under one of our sage bushes.

Mouth is doing fine in spite of stuffing himself a couple of days ago. I have cut his bottle feeding down to twice a day and will make that one next week. I cannot believe how fast the first kids are growing. I have a special fondness for Bold-Fresh. I guess it must be his attitude because he looks pretty much the same as the other white pygora kids. He comes to see me even though I am not bottle feeding him. He is one cool kid! Ha!

Southern Arizona is cooking again. The weathermen say it is a little early but we are already hitting temps in the triple digits. It was 80 degrees at 8:30 this morning. Our thermometer is showing 104 degrees now at 3pm. I worry about the animals when it gets so hot. I make sure they do not run out of water and they all have some shade in their pens. In the case of Little Bones, she is penned in the barn since she doesn't have enough sense to keep cool yet.

I have been given the name of another shearer so I will be calling him soon. It is even more important to get the animals sheared now that the temp is so high. The goats especially seem to get too hot. The alpacas seem to do surprisingly well. They will all feel better without their heavy coats though.

I am making a trip to buy more goat milk this evening. The little pigs, oops, I mean kids, are going through it fast. Let's see, I bought 2 gallons on Sunday and this is Thursday, so the two angora kids are going through half a gallon a day! Wow! Don't think I'm feeding them too much. They aren't having any diarrhea and they always want the bottle when I bring it. I do think Caramel is nursing the angora buck some but not enough. He still hollers when I come out with the bottle. If I see him nursing, I skip that feeding and give him the bottle at the next feeding time. I think it is unusual for a kid to drink from a bottle and his mom. I read somewhere that they learn one way or the other and it is hard to train them to take a bottle if they are suckling on mom. He doesn't seem to have a problem either way.

I made my decision and my poster for selling the kids. I am debating about when to post it. I think I should wait until they are all weaned but maybe I should try to sell them now. That way, when they are weaned, they can go to their new homes right away. I'll ask Steve what he thinks.


No comments:

Post a Comment