Tuesday, May 5, 2009

As soon as one problem is solved, another presents itself. I guess Lucy did not like being alone. She pushed her way through the fence and is now residing with the father of her kids. We will have to move one of them before the kids arrive and fix the fence. Falkor will have to be moved as it will be easier, but it may be awhile before we can build a new buck pen for him. He is the reason Lucy was able to get throught the fence in the first place.

At the 2pm feeding time, Mouth was so full that he would not take a bottle. That could be good or bad. It means he is eating hay but maybe he ate too much. I will have to keep an eye on him.

Little Bones has been moved to the goat barn. She was able to escape from her little pen here in the house and seems to be doing OK, so I graduated her back to the barn. I did have to pen her inside when the sun got high because she doesn't seem to understand that the sun and the heat are dangerous. She is cooler inside. She and her brother have upped their milk intake to about a cup per feeding. I'll have to get more milk in a day or two.

Last night I was watering my tomatoes a little after the sun went down. Something moved in the green foliage. I thought it was one of those bull frogs we get in the summer during monsoon. I got a flashlight from the house and what a surprise! No snake, thank God. It was the tiniest baby rabbit I've ever seen. I don't know how it got into the raised bed which is waist high. Maybe one of the cats caught it and left it there when it stopped moving,not realizing it wasn't dead. There is not a mark on it and it seems perfectly OK. I left it there overnight, thinking that there are more predators out at night, and it would be better to let it go during the day. It was still there this morning so I showed my #2 grandson, Dan. He, of course, wanted to hold it. So now it is in an old fish tank with a cardboard box for hiding and a bunch of hay for bedding and food. I haven't decided if I will try to raise it on goat milk or let it go. I have no idea if it is big enough to survive on it's own or if I would be releasing it to certain death. It is about the size of an adult mouse.

I made a list of all my goats. I plan to make a flyer to post at the feed store with the ones for sale. That will make Steve happy since we have too many goats and maybe we will get back some of the feed costs.

No comments:

Post a Comment