Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Our farm got it's name from the giant Saguaro Cactus that is growing in our front yard. I guess it is about 25 to 30 feet tall. I read somewhere that saguaros grow about 3 feet every ten years. So that makes ours, what?, about 100 years old? I also read that it is about 75 years before they get any branches on them. Ours has about five arms.

The saguaro in our yard has become a bird hotel! Sparrows and wrens have nests in the holes that the woodpeckers made for their own nests. Occasionally a giant horned owl will land on top. That makes Buddy, the LGDog, go nuts. He really hates big birds around the goats and chickens. I also saw a couple of peregrine falcons land in the pines out front. They didn't stay long. Mostly we have red-tailed hawks and turkey vultures giving Buddy fits.

Right now the saguaro is in bloom. It gets big white lily-like flowers on top and on the ends of the arms. The insects and birds love that. It must be like having a free buffet at their hotel! Ha!

I have just returned from Tucson Medical Center after having my gallbladder removed. It is really nice to be home again even though I didn't even have to spend the night. It is difficult for me to relinquish the care of the animals and the farm to others but I will have to do that for a little while at least. I cannot do any heavy lifting so someone else will have to take the hay to the goats and alpacas. I think I will still be able to bottle feed the kids and fill water buckets. I am thankful that Steve and my daughters are here to help out. It would really be awful if I was alone and had to hire someone. But, maybe I wouldn't have to do that. Some friends offered to help too. Thanks for friends too!

We are supposed to get sunny hot days the rest of the week and I can't even go swimming! Oh well, I will just kick back and recover as quickly as I can. I'll read a couple of good books and drink iced tea all day!

No comments:

Post a Comment