Sunday, June 14, 2009

I have been rather anxious about giving the kids their immunizations. But, today was the day. I filled the syringes and got cotton balls and alcohol ready to go in a basket. I also got out the toenail clippers, a coke bottle to safely dispose of the used needles and some animal crackers for treats. My gallant husband volunteered to give the injections because I was too nervous. So I got to hold each kid on my lap while Steve clipped their toenails and gave them their shot. They did pretty well for the most part. Mouth was first and he ended up being the most squirmy. Then, of course, he stuck around after looking for stray cookies and chewing on my shirt. Bobbin's buckling is big and healthy. He was the heaviest and almost poked my eye out with his new spiky horns. I have a faint triangle under my left eye. No blood was drawn and it was a lesson for me . I kept those little heads firmly in my hand away from my face after that. That little buck took the shot the best. He didn't move or bellow. Steve said, "He took it like a man!" Of course, he is the biggest intact male! Ha!

I decided to move Bobbin's little white doe out of the pen with the white buck, her brother, and the 2 wethers, Mouth and Bold-Fresh. The buck was already chasing her and practice mounting at only 9 weeks old. The books say to separate the bucklings from their moms and sisters by 4 months or you will have surprise kids. I don't want anything like that to happen. So the white doe is now in with Little Bones. Caramel's on the other side of the fence from them and tries to butt them both.

We had thunder storms and heat lightning toward the south of us last night. It is really windy again today. The weathermen say it is the "official" start of monsoon but it seems too early. I think they are just practicing CYA!

Wow! What a relief to have the first shots done. We have to repeat them in about 21 days but then only once a year. The new owner of the pygora kids will have to worry about them next time. And, he should pick them up right after the 2nd shot. My life will be much easier after that. I will miss the little guys though.

No comments:

Post a Comment