Sunday, June 7, 2009

I woke up at 5:30 and got up to make myself a cup of tea. I thought "Aw! Finally, a quiet morning to relax before everyone else gets up." Sunday morning, right! Quiet, relax, contemplate my life! Yeah right!

First thing. I look out the back door and see Little Bones wiggle and squirm her way into Falkor and Lucy's pen! Oh MY GOSH! I freak! So I run out, in my nightgown no less. What to do? Lucy is already after Little Bones, head down ready to ram her good. Bones leaps out of the way and hides behind a bale of straw. Ok, Ok. So I get a flake of hay and some cookies to distract Falkor and Lucy. Then I stand at the gate and call Little Bones. She sees me and heads my way and, wham! Lucy gets a bead on her again. Off she hops back behind the straw. Falkor is watching me too. He thinks I might have some more cookies so I shut the gate and wait for him to go back to his hay. On the third try, Bones finally escapes and runs out the gate to me. I fix her pen and go in to get her bottle. Then I hear Falkor ramming the pen again! All the fence and boards are all out of wack again. As I watch, Bones attempts to wiggle her little butt throught the maze again. I grab the hose and squirt Falkor in the face. As he backs away I grab for Bones. She keeps on wiggling but I manage to pull her back into her pen. I still don't know what to do. I'm still too weak from my surgery to move any heavy fence board or fix anything. So I let Bones out of her pen into the yard. She follows me around and yells when I am out of her sight. She is having a great time.

Falkor is one smart buck. He thinks, "Ah ha! I ram the fence and she brings me cookies! I think I'll do it again!" So he does. But I don't bring him cookies this time. I squirt him instead! He doesn't like that. He shakes and snorts, then he thinks about ramming the fence again. I yell at him, "NO! you big jerk! " Then I squirt him again. Next time he thinks about ramming the fence, I yell "no" again and raise the hose. He stops and looks at me this time.

So I sit on the goat staunchin in the yard while Bones plays and tries to eat my nightgown. Falkor is still interested but cautious. I never get my tea! I'm trying to figure out how to fix this problem. Finally, my hero, I mean, my husband wakes up. I'm thinking we'll have to move one of the big green gates to fix the pen. Steve says it's too big. He is right. So he goes and gets into his jeans. He measures the pen and cuts a piece of the 2 by 4 no-climb fence. He moves the big wooden board to Falkor's side of the fence. Then he wires the new fence on Bones' side. Wha-La! All is fixed! He is my hero afterall. All this before 8am! I go in and get my tea!

Later, about 11:30, I'm outside watering plants and I hear my phone ring. So I come in to get my phone. Wow! I missed 3 calls. My shearer, Tor, wants to come and get my wild does. Great! He shows up in about 30 minutes. I called Jeff to help Steve catch the does but Tor is a pro. He just walks in the pen, grabs a goat and hauls her out to his truck. No sweat! Steve is getting good at lassoing. He did catch one of them on the first throw! Hopefully, we won't have to do that any more. We don't have any wild goats any more! Hallelujah! Thanks to Tor. He said I should get a check in the mail in about a week.

Soon, this year's kids will go to their new home. Then I will just have angora goats, Falkor, Caramel and their kids, Little Bones and her brother. I may keep Bold -Fresh and last years wethers. We'll see.

Just goes to show, you never know what might happen on any given day. We also fixed a little door for the chickens. I was waking up at 2, 3, 4am to our rooster crowing in his sleep. Now I can pen them up so they cannot get outside until I let them out. The rooster might still crow at those early hours but at least he'll be inside the barn so I won't be able to hear him. Tonight all is peaceful at Saguaro Hill Farm.

No comments:

Post a Comment