Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Yesterday evening we moved Little Buck, the buck born with Little Bones, into the pen with the pygora kids, Mouth, Bold-Fresh and The Donald. The Donald is the pygora kid that we did not wether. His name struck me when I noticed the great "Donald Trump" type hair he has between his horns. It is like two waves parted in the middle. Anyway, it made me think of Donald Trump's hair so I call him The Donald now. I'm sure his new owner will call him something else.

It looks like The Donald and Little Buck didn't get along so well during the night. Little Buck has a bloody horn this morning. The Donald has blood on his horn and neck. None of it looks as serious as Little Buck's horn. I hope there is not enough damage to threaten his horn. It would be a shame if his horns did not get as magnificent as his daddy's, Falkor, horns. I will keep an eye on him today to make sure all is well.

I moved Little Buck away from his mama, Caramel, because he is 14 weeks old now. Other breeders have told me that bucks can breed at 3 months of age. Little Buck was chasing Caramel around their pen and attempting to mount her so I thought it was time to move him. The Donald is supposed to be picked up this weekend along with Mouth, Snowy, and Butterfly. I'm hoping that Little Buck will get to be friends with Bold-Fresh, then I will keep him. If it turns out that Little Bones and Mouth get along better, then I will keep Mouth. I'll have to wait and see. Mouth is definitely more friendly with me than Bold-Fresh is now, so that may be a factor too.

I forgot to close the chicken door last night when I bottle fed the kids, probably because I was moving Little Buck. So at 12:30 a.m., my rooster started crowing like crazy. He's demented. It was pitch black outside! Since we have all the windows open, I had to go out and put the rooster inside so he would shut up and we could get some sleep. Of course, that started a chain reaction. Little Bones jumped up and started bleating and looking for her bottle. Then Caramel got up and remembered that her baby boy was no longer with her. She started bawling. It was enough to wake the dead! And, as if that wasn't enough, I heard a coyote start howling down in the wash, which set the dogs off! Holy cow! I almost wished I'd let that demented rooster keep crowing!

Today my mission is to buy more feed. I'm always buying feed. I'm almost out of alfalfa pellets and chicken feed. The timothy pellets for the alpacas ran out yesterday and I should probably get dog food again so that I don't run out of it. So it's off to Walmart and the feed store!

No comments:

Post a Comment