Wednesday, July 29, 2009

This morning it is windy and dusty. We haven't had any rain in a couple of days, hence the dust. It is 76 degrees at 7 a.m. so I figure we'll get up to 106 by 3p.m. or sooner. We could use some more rain. Most of the monsoon thunderstorms seem to be to the west of us this year. I hope we don't get skipped altogether. I like the occasional wicked storm!

The swallows' second group of hatchlings are starting to leave the nest. They aren't quite ready. One of them fell out of the nest yesterday afternoon and landed on the patio. I managed to keep Buddy and the cats from getting it so far. The parents are sticking close by. Since it made it through the night, I am hoping it will live long enough to fly away. It is making a great effort, flapping it's wings and staying hidden under the drain spout. You go little bird!

Little Buck and The Donald seem to be getting along OK. The blood has dried and no horns were lost. I have cut the bottle feeding to twice a day in preparation for weaning by the end of August. Little Buck doesn't seem to be a part of the herd yet. He is holding himself a little apart from the rest of them. He does get his nose in there for the pellets and the hay and he doesn't seem afraid. He is about 3 weeks younger than the rest of them but he is a good size. I cannot tell him apart because of his size, but because of his fleece. He's much curlier than the rest of them and a little off-white. They are pure bright white and fluffy more than curly.

I did make it to the feed store yesterday so we are all stocked up for now. I'll probably send Steve for hay again on Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment