Friday, July 24, 2009

It is hard to believe that we have almost reached the end of July! That means the year is more than half over! Amazing! I remember when I was much younger thinking how long a year was. Now I think how short a year is and how fast the time goes. Perspectives change with age, probably in more ways than I imagine!

The new chicks are still with us and are growing quickly. Speedy little birds. They manage to keep out from under Falkor's feet, dodge the rooster and the other hens and stick close to mama hen. She is under constant stress, her feathers all puffed out to ward off the other chickens. She clucks softly to the chicks constantly except when she's after another hen for encroaching in their space. I would move them to a space of their own except that might cause worse stress, to me trying to catch them as I avoid Falkor's playful horns, and to them by chasing them.

The pygora kids have stayed away from the feeder box since their escape was foiled. I will figure out a way to make it more secure this weekend with the help of my industrious spouse. Maybe we could just put a piece of fence over the front of the box. That way I could still feed them but they would not be able to climb into the box like they can now. That would solve some of the problem of them wasting so much hay also. Of course, their new owner is supposed to pick them up in another week so that would solve everything! Then we can change that pasture into the new chicken enclosure.

To do that we will have to put a new roof on the goat shelter and figure out how to install nesting boxes. The shelter probably needs to be more enclosed too in order to keep the chickens safe from coyotes or other predators at night. And, I want to get some new chickens, some Delawares. They are large white chickens with black speckles. They are also a Heritage breed so I would be helping to preserve the breed. So much to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment