Friday, July 17, 2009

Well, I have not gotten much done this week as far as making rolags. I have one bag of 5 done and some others. I need to do a whole lot more. I have been mostly watching grandkids this week which is always fun.

We had a terrific thunderstorm last night. Steve and I sat outside with all the grandkids and watched the storm approach from the east. The lightning was spectacular. The two oldest grandsons, ages 7 and 5, started a game of throwing their hands out and "making" the lightning happen. It was surprising how many times it worked! Ha! We had to come inside eventually and then the heavens really let loose! The thunder caused us all to shriek and cover our ears. The dogs hid under the beds and the youngest grands cried in fear! It was a magnificent storm and nice to wake up to clear sunny skies this morning!

I am still bottle feeding two of my kids, the angoras, Little Bones and her brother. That will end in about another 4 weeks. I have not named the little male as I was thinking of selling him. I am having second thoughts on that. Every time I feed him, I am impressed with his fleece and his stature. So I am sort of thinking of naming him and keeping him. It may be difficult to have two bucks around here though. Falkor is quite a handful by himself. I don't know that his fleece is as nice as his son's though. Maybe the fleece seems so nice because he is still a baby and Falkor is not.

I want to get all the goats out into pastures so that cleaning up isn't such a chore for Steve. The guy who "bought" the pygora kids has not yet picked them up even though they are ready to go. I guess he hasn't gotten his fences up or something. I wish he would get them soon.

I can really tell the difference between the pygora kids and the angora kids. The angoras have much curlier fleece and it covers them pretty much everywhere. The pygoras fleece is straighter and they don't have as much coverage. They have no fleece on their faces, legs or the front of their necks. Those places are just smooth short hair. The ones born this year, Bold-Fresh, Mouth, Snowy and the buck, are curlier than last years kids, Valentino, Silverado and Butterfly. I don't know who the sires of last year's kids are. I do know that they were supposed to be half pygmy and half angora. My kids this year are three-quarters angora. Their father was Falkor. And, of course, Little Bones and her brother all full angoras. Speaking of which, it is time to feed them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment