Sunday, February 21, 2010

Steve and I spent a wonderful weekend at the "Alpacas Among Friends" seminar in Sonoita, AZ. It was hosted by Mike and Linda of Square Top Ranch and several other local alpaca breeders. We met some nice people and learned a few new things. We got to see some really nice alpacas, a cute little alpaca products store and a fiber tumbler.

Mike and Linda have a beautiful setup for their alpacas and a gorgeous home. Sonoita is a quaint little southwest town set in rolling grasslands in the high desert of southern Arizona. The landscape there is much different than where we live here in Mescal.

The first day, Saturday, the weather got really cold and nasty. It was pretty ironic after having a week of warm days and sunshine. We all huddled in the barn wearing our winter coats while speakers shouted over the sound of the pouring rain beating down on the metal barn roof. We spent the afternoon in Linda's beautiful home which was much warmer and dryer than outdoors.

Today was also spent partly outside and partly inside. We got to evaluate four maiden female alpacas. They were all show quality animals so, needless to say, they were all just about perfect. I would've loved to take any one of them home!

I learned that I need to get busy and really start marketing my business. I feel more motivated after attending the seminar but also worry about finding my niche and being able to give good service and sell good products to people. Doing this blog is a good thing. I also need to establish a website, get my business cards printed and obtain my retail license.

I met some ladies who are in a fiber guild today. They had their spinning wheels there to demonstrate what to do with alpaca fiber. They also want to buy some baby angora goat fleece(mohair) from me. I will be contacting them soon.

Next weekend there is an alpaca auction in Phoenix. It is hosted by the Snowmass Alpaca Ranch out of Idaho. I have attended that in previous years and it is also great fun. Then in March the Southwestern Alpaca Show is held in Phoenix. I'm sure some of the alpacas that were at the seminar will also be in that show. I will try to talk Steve into going to that this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment