Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Our weather is hanging in there for spring. Just gorgeous!

Thought I heard a rattler when Steve and I got home from town last night. I put all my stuff in the house and grabbed a flashlight to look for it. The sound was coming from near the pool. It turned out to be water hissing through a small hole in a hose! Thank goodness! I thought it was a little too early and still, hopefully, too cold for the old snakes to be emerging!

I will share an embarrassing moment with you. Steve and I went to a neighboring goat farm yesterday. The owner had advertised some Saanen/Nigerian dwarf cross does for sale. I am thinking of getting one or two milking goats in case I need milk for my new angora kids in a few months. Anyway, we went to this farm just down the road. She had scores of goats, Saanen, Oberhasli and lots of others. I noticed that many of them did not have ears. I asked the lady, "Why did you cut off their ears?" She said, rather indignantly, "I didn't cut off their ears! They are La Manchas! They are born that way!" Boy was my face red!

The La Manchas are big milk goats. They are pretty handsome goats but they don't have much of an ear. It is just a little rosette on each side of their head. I had never seen that particular breed before. They were friendly goats but too big for me. On the other hand, I liked the Saanens. They are all white and a little smaller and they have cute ears that sort of stick out sideways from their heads. They seemed even more friendly than the La Manchas and very calm. I did not buy any does from her yesterday. She said the small breeds go really fast because she doesn't charge much for them and they are not registered. She only had two left yesterday that were already claimed. She did say that more will be born in about 2-3 weeks and she would call me. Now I'm having second thoughts of course. Am I really ready to take on new baby kids that need to be bottle fed every few hours again? Guess I'd better get ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment