Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Yes, I know, it's been awhile. Sometimes I just get so busy and forget what happens around here to write about. This weekend I had my entire family over to celebrate my birthday. It was a very nice time. Lots of food and fun.

Steve and I moved the goat shelter and the chicken coop over the weekend too. Sometimes it is best to make do with what you have, which is what we do a lot lately. Actually, I just supervised the moving. Our son, Sam, helped Steve do the actual physical act of moving things. The goat shelter was just shifted some, to face more squarely to the east. This gives the little bucks a little more shade from the sun in the morning and the afternoon.

The chicken coop, formerly also a goat shelter, was turned completely around. It now opens toward the west. The chickens seem to like that better. I don't know why exactly. Maybe the trees and bushes posed more of a threat to them than the evening sun. Anyway, we put some old pallets in front to close the opening and make it more cozy for the chickens. I also put some old dog crates and some new plastic filing crates inside for use as nests. I can close them inside by shifting one of the pallets like a sliding door. I haven't felt the need to do that yet.

We also removed one of the sections inside the goat barn where Little Bones and Caramel stay. Now little Bones has an indoor space as large as Caramel's. There used to be 5 kennel runs in the goat barn. We have reduced that to 3 runs in order to give the goats more space and more inside shelter. Eventually I would like to get another pasture fenced for the does and just use the kennel, now the goat barn, for does who are about to give birth. Hopefully in a few months, we will have the funds for that and other improvements around here.

We are thinking about winter too, although, we have been having record heat lately. It was 103 yesterday. Not cool! Ha! I'm thinking about how much straw we will need for each shelter and each pasture. I do not think I will breed any of the does this season. Poor Falkor! He won't have any fun for awhile. Oh well. It will be better for the does and for me. They will get a rest and get in better shape and I will have time to figure out my goals and what I really want to accomplish with our little farm.

I have contacted the shearer but have not heard back from him yet. I will call him again if I don't hear by the weekend. I have been busy sewing. I made a long skirt for my daughter's halloween costume. I also finished an apron for Christmas and have another cut out to sew. I seem to only be able to work in my "shop" early in the morning or late. It is just too hot during the day. I told Steve I need a room air conditioner out there so I can get more work done!

After 36 years, I lost the diamond in the first "promise" ring that Steve gave me when we got engaged. I still have the ring on my finger with my wedding diamond. Steve said that maybe we could trade them both up for a new ring. Maybe, just maybe, I deserve it after all these years! Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment