Saturday, September 19, 2009

I forgot to say that I did manage to get the chickens moved. They are not very bright however, and have not used the shelter at night. We plan on turning the shelter around, putting a new roof on it and making a smaller entrance for the chickens. Maybe they will like it better and I will be able to close them in at night. Otherwise, Big Red crows all night disrupting everyone's sleep. It would be nice to get one of those Amish built chicken coops. Maybe someday...

I read a bird article that said the hummingbirds and the bats really are leaving the area for the winter. It also said that some hummingbirds stay all year and to leave one feeder full all year. Today I will fill one of them up and try to keep it full this autumn and winter.

It is cool again this morning, only about 60 degrees. That means it will get to be at least 90 degrees before the end of the day. The pool will be a little too chilly for me but maybe Steve and the grandkids will swim.

The cooler weather has me thinking about keeping the animals warm this winter. I will have to figure out how many bales of straw we will need and where to put them where they will do the most good. Straw bales make a good wind blocker for the alpacas. They are also good insulation for the goats and chickens. We usually only have one or two snow storms so I don't really need permanent heavy duty shelter for all the animals. I worry more about keeping them cool in the hot summer.

I hear Little Bones bleating and demanding her breakfast so until next time, have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment