Wednesday, September 23, 2009

It is so cool this morning that I dragged out one of my flannel muu-muus to keep warm. Yes, I made flannel muu-muus. I adapted a short sleeved muu-muu pattern and a long sleeved nightgown pattern and made several. They are long and comfortable and if I get really cold, they are big enough to put t-shirts and longjohns underneath! Ha! I usually don't need that many clothes here but I am thinking of getting some high-top slippers to cover my ankles.

We decided that Big Red was getting old and senile. He was crowing all night instead of just in the morning. The neighbors complained about the noise. So I gave Steve permission to put everyone out of misery and shoot the old bird. He was then deposited in the wash so the coyotes and buzzards had a nice little feast, Big Red, not Steve. I'll probably keep it a secret if I ever decide to deposit Steve in the wash! Ha! Just kidding!

I plan on calling the shearer today and setting up a time to shear the goats. I read another angora breeders page online. I guess most angora breeders sell their fleeces in the original condition in which they come off the animal. They remove as much vegetable matter as possible and sell then as is by the pound. It looked like this particular breeder sold hers for about $24 per pound. That's a lot of money if you get 4 or more pounds from one animal.

This weekend is "Alpaca Farm Days." Alpaca farms across the country are having open houses and inviting the public to visit their farms. Some will also have demonstrations, food booths, spinners, weavers and food. It is an opportunity to touch the alpacas and see what raising them is like. I hope you will all go visit a farm near you. Someday, when I get more alpacas, I will join in the National Alpaca Farm Days too.

No comments:

Post a Comment