Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Steve fixed the old goat pen yesterday so now I can move the chickens into their own space. I was going to do it last night but got too tired and forgot. Getting old does that to you! Ha!

The hummingbird population has gotten smaller since I was away. I don't know if some of them left because the feeders were empty or if they migrated already. There are still some here but not the 15 to 20 I was seeing before vacation. The feeders are still being emptied but not by the hummingbirds.

The bats have arrived! They can empty all three feeders in one night. So I am filling feeders up every morning now. The bats are harder to watch than the hummingbirds. They are almost like a shadow and sometimes it seems like you imagined them passing. These are not the small bats that eat the bugs under the security light. These are bigger fruit bats. They don't land on the feeders, they hit it as they pass. So there are splashes of the red liquid feed on the house after they leave. Late last night I got up to let the dog out and watched several bats hitting the feeders. Just a flash of brown wings in the darkness. I probably couldn't see them at all without the small string of lights on the porch. Nature is amazing and seems appropriate for this time of year.

No comments:

Post a Comment