Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The Storm did some damage to the gas station down the road. Instead of "GAS" the sign now says "G S". We are missing some roof tiles from the garage but mostly just got soaked.

I cleaned out the barn yesterday. I decided I can use some of my old dog crates for chicken nest boxes. I moved some of them to the pasture where I will put the new chickens when we get them. I got some good ideas while I was working which I wrote down in my "Farm Log."

Steve removed a large cholla cactus from the goat pasture. I thought he had removed all the cactus from that field when we fenced it in. I noticed a piece of cactus hanging on the front of Little Buck and another on Mouth's side. We started to remove the cactus from the goats yesterday too. But a storm directly above us started flashing lightening and thundering so we decided to wait. I will try to take care of that again today. Cactus cannot do anything but make trouble on unsuspecting little goats.

The fields and hills around us are actually turning slightly green. It is very late in the summer for this to be happening. Usually things green up at the beginning of July when the monsoon hits. This year that didn't happen. Usually by this time everyone is grumbling about how tall the weeds are in their yards. Not this year. There aren't any weeds. It's kinda scarey. It means we haven't had enough rain. I worry about the fire season next month. I guess worrying never accomplished anything. We'll just have to take things as they come.

No comments:

Post a Comment