Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Countdown to Christmas

Only 24 days til Christmas!  I am almost finished with the shopping and the grandkids have already decorated our tree.  What a fun time they had doing that.  We did it the day after Thanksgiving for something"fun" to do.  And it was fun! 

I have also put up most of the decorations inside.  We have not put our lights up outside yet.  The weather has not been very cooperative.  We've had very windy days, including one day with 50mph gusts.  It is also very cold for us.  It was only 22 degrees yesterday morning.  All the water buckets were frozen.  They were frozen solid, not just on top.  I couldn't even kick a dent in the top.  The whole bucket from top to bottom was one big ice cube.  Nothing to do about it, just wait it out.  I knew it would warm up enough for the animals to get a drink during the day.  Besides the hoses were frozen too.  By the end of the week we are supposed to be close to 80 degrees again.  

The vet tech called and asked how Tinker was doing.  I told her he seems better but still not gaining much weight.  She thought the vet did not take a biopsy so we do not really know if he has cancer or what.  I had some questions so she was going to talk to the vet and call me back.  I am still waiting.

Our chickens are finally laying eggs on a fairly regular basis.  I've been getting one or two eggs every day.  Yesterday was a record.  I got 6!  I did put the heat lamp on in the barn for them at night.  I probably should get another heat lamp.  I hung the one next to the hens without the rooster.  The ones with the rooster would probably enjoy the warmth too.  Maybe they would lay more eggs too.  Also, we are still getting about one a day from the turkey hen.  So I've got about 3 dozen eggs in the frig right now.  Steve took a dozen to work for lunches and snacks.  I will give some to my daughter too.  Maybe by summer I will be able to sell eggs to the neighbors.  

I had what seems like a setback.  I sent about 11 pounds of alpaca fiber to the Alpaca Blanket Project in August.  They sent me an email on Thanksgiving saying that they are sending back 9 pounds that they could not use.  So I had to send them an additional $16 to get my fleece back.  I don't know if I will send any more.  It is a loss of money for me.  I don't know if they will pay me for the 2 pounds they did use or just keep a tally on my account.  I think they do not pay until you accumulate 50 pounds of usable fiber.  I think one has to have many, many alpacas to make money.  And, even then, you cannot make money from the fleece.  One must have animals to sell, which I don't.  Or I could sell all of them and do something else.  The economy isn't good for selling animals right now either.  Guess I'll just enjoy my expensive "pets" for now.  In any case, it is Christmas time!  I won't worry about "business" until after the holidays! Gee, do I sound like Scarlet O'Hara?  Fiddle-de-de!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment