Thursday, April 30, 2009

After the birth of the kids, Steve and I went out to dinner with some friends. As soon as I got back from that little respite, I checked on the new babies. Then I went into panic mode again! The little girl was chilled to the core and very sluggish. It looked like Caramel had given up cleaning her up to spend time on the bigger, more vocal boy. So I scooped up the tiniest baby goat in a towel and started rubbing and drying her off. I grabbed my goat book and told Steve, "Look in there and see how to get her warmed up!" We ended up putting her in a warm bath in the kitchen sink for about 30 minutes before she started wiggling around and making noise. I even managed to get some warm milk down her. Then we made a warm little bed for her in a cardboard box. She is still in that box in the house. She finally stood by herself about 10 am today. So I gave her some of the colostrum. She drank it down like she was starving. I hope that means we are out of the woods. She is sleeping now along with her brother and our grandson. No, I didn't put my grandson in a cardboard box with the goat. Although, he'd probably like the idea! I'll post some pictures soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment