Friday, April 24, 2009

Thank goodness, it is Friday! I don't know why I feel that way. Probably an old habit from the days when I worked away from home! Ha!

A roadrunner crossed my path yesterday while I was walking. "Roadrunner, the coyote's after you..." I sang to him but he didn't care. He just kept bobbing his head and twitching his tail and went on his way. They are awesome birds. I love to see them and they eat rattlesnakes. Thankfully we haven't had a rattlesnake in the yard yet this spring. I will knock on wood!

Someone asked me why I had all the goats. I had two big dairy goats when we first moved here. They were an experiment. I did not want to milk goats or cows every day. When the wether's horns got too big and dangerous, I re-homed the two of them. But then there was a void on our property. So I got what I thought was a good deal at the time, three pygora does. Silly me, they were fairly young and I thought I could tame them. Well, that hasn't happened. They are still wild and skiddish but they had beautiful kids. And the kids they had last year are tame and manageable and the kids they had this month will be too.

I do like goats in general. I just needed to figure out what kind I wanted. I think I will be moving toward all pure bred angora goats. They are small and cute and fairly easy to handle. Their fleece can be blended with the alpaca fleece to make a more durable yarn. Now, If I could just manage to keep everyone's fleece clean and free of vegetable matter. That is a work in progress for this farmer and an ongoing challenge for a lot of farmers, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment