Thursday, August 19, 2010

I returned from California on Tuesday.  Don't care if I never have to fly again, although I know I will.  I had a very relaxing time away from grand kids and animals.  My girlfriend and I spent the first two days at San Francisco's Fisherman's Wharf.  We had the perfect hotel smack dab in the middle of everything.  We just parked the car and walked to all the shops and restaurants.  The weather was very different form Arizona, much cooler.  I enjoyed the foggy damp mornings and windy sunny afternoons.  We ate clam chowder from a bread bowl, fish tacos and salmon while we looked out over San Francisco Bay.  There were plenty of big ships and sail boats.  Sea Lions lazed on the docks and gulls flew overhead.  People watching was also fun.  We heard tourist speaking languages from all over the world.  

On Saturday we drove back up to Chico, CA to my friend's house.  She is currently taking car of 16 dogs.  They are mostly dachshunds, but she also has a couple of fox terriers and a chihuahua.  Most of the dogs are up for adoption as they are rescues.  My vacation continued as my friend put me up in her gorgeous guest room and served me food and wine! Ha!  We watched several good movies including, "Sherlock Holmes", "The Lovely Bones" and "Capitalism: A Love Story."  My friend also made homemade ice cream, chocolate and cherry.  It was to die for! Heavenly!  We also shopped in Chico and went to see Julia Roberts in "Eat, Pray, Love."  Overall, I had a very good time.  Lots of food, fun and girl conversations!

Steve and Sara took good care of all the animals while I was away.  It was strange to come back to a green Arizona!  Steve said it rained and thunder-stormed every night while I was gone.  California has not had any rain all summer.  Everything was brown and dusty except near the ocean.  It is also more humid here at home.  I guess it will be that way til the monsoon is over next month. I could hardly believe how much the chicks and turkeys have grown!  Little Casper also seems bigger.  He will be 4 months old soon.  I will start weaning him by cutting down to one bottle a day starting next week.  Everything is still damp and the flies have not diminished at all.  Steve sprayed some of the alpacas with horse fly spray while I was away.  I will have to start doing that every day I'm thinking.  

My alpaca blankets and scarves came from the Alpaca Blanket Project while I was away.  They are fabulously soft and a blend of lots of alpaca colors.  I only got 2 of each this time so I plan on keeping one and selling the other or giving it for a gift.  I used the time away to make decisions about my little farm and the directions I want to take.  I think I will be downsizing some.  More about that later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment