Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Green, green, green! That is what Arizona's landscape is like now!  On Saturday we got a real gully washer of a storm.  We had an inch and a half of rain in about 4 hours!  All the washes, creeks and rivers had flash flood warnings and the San Pedro River is still full from bank to bank!  I usually go out to feed all the animals about 3:30 or 4pm but it was raining too hard then.  About 5:30, I thought the storm was ending so I went out.  Big mistake!  I fed the goats and the alpacas in their shelter because everything was so wet and they were hiding anyway to keep out of the rain.  Well, just as I was filling hay buckets in the alpaca side there was a big jump-out-of-your-skin lightening charge with the accompanying bombastic thunder!  Then, what do you think, the rain came flooding down again.  I waited under the shelter for it to slow up some but I still managed to get soaked to the skin before I made it back to the barn.  I should've had my bath soap and shampoo!  We are drying out some since then for which I am grateful!  I have to be careful filling up the chicken feeder boxes though.  It is still squishy and I almost landed on my butt yesterday!  I could just see the headlines, "Grandma Farmer Kicks up her heels in the mud after Killer storm!" Ha!

I took some more pictures of the aprons I have been making and one of the blankets from the Alpaca Blanket Project.  It is time to start thinking ahead to the holidays.  Tomorrow is September and the beginning of Fall.  I plan on changing out my decor, putting up the fall curtains I made last year with leaves all over them.  Steve wants to do some painting and fixing floors before his Mom comes for our Son's wedding in October.  I just want a new house but that isn't going to happen anytime soon.  So I'll have to be content with fixing up and redecorating.  I am looking forward to cooler weather.  

I am reading a new book .  It is titled " Horse Tales from Heaven."  It is sort of like a diary of a young woman who works with a horse back country outfit taking tours into the Bob Marshall Wilderness in Montana.  It is an easy read and an up-lifting one.  Of course, she is much younger than I am now, but it is still not easy doing that camping thing in Montana.  I'm strictly a warm bed, in house camper now.

No comments:

Post a Comment