Saturday, July 31, 2010

We had a monster storm yesterday and half the night.  The lightening lit up every window in the house at the same time and the rain came down in torrents.  Today the San Pedro River, which is normally a dry river bed, was flowing fast and furiously.  Muddy brown ripples flooded the entire channel from bank to bank.  We don't see that very often.


All the animals got wet and pathetic looking.  The turkeys were the worst.  Poor things!  Their pen got soaked inside and out and I cannot do much except wait for things to dry out.  Flys are really bad this year.  I thought I wasn't keeping things clean enough but people at the feed store were complaining about the pesky things too so I guess it's not just our farm.


This morning the neighbor's yard was invaded by bovines.  They got really close to our fence this time causing the alpacas to freak out.  I went out and took pictures and then drove the car toward the beasts and honked the horn, hoping they would go in the other direction.  They just looked at me.  After awhile the neighbor's came out with brooms and started herding the heifers and calves out their gate.  They have done it so many times that nobody gets excited any more.  It's just a leisurely stroll following the cows out the gate.


I was offline for awhile because our "router"? that connects the computer to the satellite stopped working.  I didn't realize how much the computer has become part of our lives.  I missed being able to post here and answer email.


I actually mailed 4 boxes of fleece to the Alpaca Blanket Project on Friday.  I will be lucky if they actually use my fleece and pay for it.  I continue to be excited about the blanket project though.  I hope to buy some blankets this year.  My next project is to send my best fleece to Vanity Apparel.  They will make scarves for me and send them back.  I may try to sell them or maybe I will just give them for Christmas gifts.  I am also researching mills to see what my best option is for the goat fleece. 

No comments:

Post a Comment