Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The license is in the mail.  I have cut out 5 more aprons and prepared my photos to make cards for sale.  Tomorrow is payday and I will be able to put some money in the business account and get the Etsy site started.  I have some things ready to post for sale and others ready or almost ready to make.  I have been working on my profile, policies and item descriptions.  All a lot of work.  My daughter assures me that I can get the Etsy site set up in a day and that it is not hard.  We shall see.

I also figured out how much it will cost me to make the aprons, how much Etsy is going to charge me to post and sell them and postage costs.  My profit is not going to be great for any one item so I will have to sell many items.  I think the cards will be the most profitable, but will they sell?  I guess I will find out.

I am feeling a little overwhelmed about the alpaca fleece that I want to send to the Alpaca Blanket Project.  I will have to sort the fleeces, skirt them and get as much vegetable matter out as possible.  Then pack them up in plastic bags, suck the air out, put them in boxes and mail them to Oregon.  Skirting involves shaking the fleece out on a table, preferably a mesh top table so the dirt can fall away from the fleece, then pulling out any nasty fleece or any "second" cuts, and picking out any vegetable matter.  That is the worst part, picking out the VM, because it is often fine and sticky or prickly.  Some people cover their animals or otherwise keep the fleece clean, but I haven't figured out how to keep an alpaca from rolling around on the ground or, as they seem to like best, rolling around in any short left over hay that they have thrown out of the feeder and all over the ground!  I would not be comfortable covering them with a blanket here.  It just gets too hot.  And I am too lazy to rake the pasture daily.  So, on with the work!

I noticed some gorgeous Yucca plants are flowering in the field behind us.  I will try to get pictures of them and my pathetic little apple tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment