Wednesday, December 9, 2009

The Storm that swept the whole country and is still progressing did not damage us much. The chicken coop turned upside-down by the wind. We did get snow this time but it did not stick. The wind was the worst factor. We had gusts up to 60mph and cold, my, it was freezing, literally. I delayed feeding the animals until about 10 am just because they were all hunkered down against the wind and cold and I did not want to disturb them.

When I did finally go out, the snow was blowing and my hands about froze off. I moved the alpaca feeders into the shelter just so they would go in the shelter too. The shelter is divided in half just so we will have a catch pen and for separating the new boys when we first got them. I think it is time to rearrange that so that the boys would not feel so cramped together in there. We can move one of the wooden panels to the outside and maybe keep some of the rain and snow out. When we get these bad winter storms, I feel like the animals do not have adequate shelter. Thank the Lord we do not get this severe weather often.

I also had to go into the goat pasture to feed the little bucks. I wanted to put their feed and hay inside their shelter so they would not have to get wet and be in the cold wind. They all rushed out to meet me of course. I decided it was the perfect opportunity. On the way out I grabbed Mouth by the horns and dragged him into Little Bones' pen and shelter. So now each goat has a companion and hopefully, more adequate protection from the weather.

Little Bones and Mouth butted heads a few times but seem to get along OK. It is amazing how much alike they are. Mouth is a Pygora however. Little Bones is pure Angora. The difference in their fleece cannot be missed. And, of course, Little Bones is more beautiful in the face! Ha!

Tinker continues to hobble about. If I could afford it I would call the vet for him. I pray that he will be OK.

Today it is clear and the wind has stopped. The moon and stars were bright and beautiful when I fed everyone this morning. Thank goodness that everything bad and good eventually passes.

No comments:

Post a Comment