Monday, April 25, 2011

Hope you all had a Happy Easter.  Ours was nice but I was a bit stressed due to alpaca shearing.  We were supposed to have it done on Thursday the 21st but after waiting all day and several phone calls, it did not work out on Thursday.  Friday I watched the grandkids while my daughter took her oldest to a doctor appointment.  We are waiting to hear the diagnosis for our oldest grandson Jake.  He is nine years old and walks on his toes all the time.  The doctor has a few ideas about what is wrong but I will hold off on that story til we know something definite.

I had not heard from the new shearer on Friday so I asked Steve to follow up with him on Saturday morning.  Sometimes men do better dealing with men than women do.  He assured Steve that he really would be here to shear our boys but probably not til about 4pm.  He actually showed up about 5:30 with only about an hour and a half until sunset.  Cody and Mike, his assistant, are both young guys and didn't waste any time getting to their task.  The wind was like a blasted hurricane so we had to find a spot in the pasture that had a little less wind since we don't have a real barn.  We ended up setting up the tarp, pad and restrains just behind the kennel.  I helped Steve capture each of the boys and hold them until Cody was ready for them.  In the process I learned that all my halters are too small.  The alpacas did not like that at all cuz the nose band is not in the right place and cuts off their breathing.  Luckily, Cody did not need the halter on while he was shearing.  Cody is the best and fastest shearer  I have ever had for the alpacas.  He also cut their teeth and toenails quickly and painlessly.  He had done all four boys by 7:15!  Wow! A record if we ever had one!  And they looked gorgeous!  I will definitely have Cody and Mike back again next year if I still have my boys.

Easter was sunny and WINDY again.  Bonnie, the other grand mother to our grandkids, came out.  We had an egg hunt in the yard.  Each child found a basket full of eggs and then blew bubbles with the new Crayola colored bubble stuff.  The patio is now spotted with all the colors of the rainbow from the bubbles.  It will wash off easily according to the bottles!  We'll see!  

I made a ham, baked macaroni and cheese and a spinach salad for our feast.  The girls made bread and cheesecake for dessert.  Plus, we had lots of chocolate bunnies and jelly beans.  Fun, Fun!  It turned out much better than the ill-fated Mr. Washington.  That rooster just had it in for me.  He didn't even make a good dinner.  I must've been too lenient, too long and he just got too tough and too mean in spite of me! Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment