Sunday, March 13, 2011

March has come in like a lamb.  We are having record high temps for this time of year and a serious lack of rain.  I hope that March goes out like a lion and we have lots of rain.  Everything is terribly brown and dry.  I just cannot imagine what our fire season will be like if our rainfall does not improve.  I must say, however, that I am really enjoying our sunny days and 80 degree temps.  

Our daughters and son-in-law got all dolled up and went to the SteamPunk Festival in Old Tucson last Sunday.  They certainly looked the part in their western/punk outfits.  The girls look pretty and sassy!  They made the costumes themselves or put the parts together for great effect.  

Steve was very sick last weekend with the bad cold/virus that seems to go through here every year about this time.  He was not up to doing any strenuous farm work for me, but he made up for it this weekend.  He put the strawbale house together for the little goats, put up a new chandelier in the dining room and put together my new "Mobia" treadclimber exercise machine. Now I have no excuse not to exercise.  The machine is in our Arizona room so I cannot beg off because it is too hot or too cold or too rainy or too snowy! Ha!  Now, I'll have to be like the Post office, "Neither snow nor rain nor dark of night...."and do my walking no matter what.  I did try it out for a few minutes.  It did feel pretty good on these poor old knees.  Weight loss here I come! Ha!  

The little goats were leashed and walked to their new pen with the strawbale shelter.  They seem to like it fine and have already been climbing on top.  They are in a position now where they can see whenever any one walks out the back door.  They come running to see what is going on.  I go passed their pen every time I go in and out of the barn so I can talk to them and give them a pat or two whenever I want.  Frankie still doesn't let me pet him much.  He would rather have his head rubbed and butt at me.  Georgie is more friendly and likes to be touched more. 

In the process of moving the goats I made the mistake of leaving a gate opened.  When Steve opened the other gates to give Buddy access to the entire yard again, he made a beeline for the driveway and out into the world he went.  He visited the neighbors dogs first.  We caught up with him there.  We offered him a treat and he fooled us by heading back to our gate.  Then at the last second he veered off and down the road he went!  Steve and I got in the car and went after him.  I never could run fast anyway but now that I am old it is quite impossible especially on our rocky, hilly dirt roads.  We didn't have much trouble following the massive dog around the neighborhood.  He went into one of the other neighbors' properties and down a hill.  I could not follow on foot so went down the main road and watched him.  He was chasing a big jack rabbit and having the time of his life.  Lucky for us the rabbit started back up the hill and down the driveway.  It was the perfect place to catch Buddy.  We blocked the driveway with the car and I jumped out with leash and treat in hand.  Buddy headed right for me, then dodged and jumped in the car.  I ran around the car and shut my door so he couldn't get out the other side cuz that is exactly what he intended to do.  Silly dog!  I did not give him the treat because he never intended to come to me but I didn't scold or punish him either.  I think he was pretty hot and glad to get home to a cool drink of water.  

I did work on the bathroom trim some more.  It is slow going cuz I have to tape and sand, then paint.  I have more taping to do but I did get about half of the trim done.  The thing is, it is going to take a second coat to look right.  I hope to finish tomorrow or at least this week.  Steve removed the old mini-blind so that I could paint the window frame.  We have a new white blind to put up as soon as I finish painting. And I keep thinking of the next project.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment