Wednesday, November 10, 2010

It has been a time of purging around here it seems to me.  First, the goats were sold.  I feel their loss every time I walk by the pasture.  Then the sewer backed up.  As a result of that we had to cut down our big beautiful pomegranate tree.  I hate cutting down trees.  But I hate the sewer backing up even worse.  It happened every six months when we first moved in here.  It was down to about once a year but every time the plumber declared that the cause was the roots from that tree.  There is another one growing near the goats' old pasture.  So maybe it will be as big as the old one some day.

And, of course, I feel like I have lost my son even though he has only gotten married.  They are celebrating one whole month of wedded bliss today.  I can hardly believe it has been a month already. Congratulations you two!

I forgot to mention that Steve and I took a trip to northern Arizona after the wedding in October.  It was beautiful up there as the aspens were turning gold and because all the lakes and trees are gorgeous any way.  We, well, Steve and our hosts hiked some.  I stayed behind because I did not trust my knee to hold up.  I sat and enjoyed the scenery while they hiked.  We also spent a day on the golf course.  It was nearly empty and it was like having our own private golf course.  The weather was absolutely fabulous that day too.  We really enjoyed ourselves.  Thanks to our good friends for a fun and relaxing time.

Tomorrow we will remember our Veterans.  Some are very close to me.  Steve served for 20 years.  My Dad and his dad also served for 20 years and both were veterans of the Korean War.  A special thanks to those brave men and all the others who served or are serving today.  We owe them more than we can ever repay.

I hear on the news that many of you farther north are getting snow.  We are just getting colder.  It was only 30 degrees when I fed the animals this morning.  It is supposed to be slightly warmer tonight.  Our weather changed almost overnight.  The wind picked up and moved the warmth out and the cold and gray clouds in.  It is sunny again but the cold stayed.  I got out my long johns and my alpaca blanket and turned the AC to Heat.  The chickens don't like the cold much and huddle inside.  Tomorrow Steve will put a door on their "room" in the barn to keep them warmer.  If it gets too cold, I will turn on the heat lamp for them that I used when they were chicks.  The cats have been coming in as soon as it gets dark too.  Buddy and the alpacas don't seem to mind the cooler temps.  In fact, they seem to prefer it.

Three nights ago, before it got cold, I heard a rattlesnake in the rock garden near the garage.  Buddy alerted me to its presence when it was nearly dark.  I ran in to get a flashlight but by the time I got back, Buddy was relaxed and I could no longer hear the rattle.  Then, on Monday night, I heard it again.  This time, Steve and my girls came out and found it in the big aloe plant.  Steve got the gun but no one could see well enough in the dark again to get a good shot at it's head.  It slipped away into one of the big squirrel holes.  I guess it is still there because the cold hit last night and no snake has rattled since.  It will probably hide away until spring.  I just hope when the heat returns we are reminded of  that old snake so we can watch out for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment