Sunday, November 21, 2010

I got up before daylight this morning.  The moon was full and shining over the mesquite tree on the west side of the house.  There were a few dark clouds and the scent of rain in the air.  Later on the wind picked up and blew most of the clouds away.  The temperature has dropped too.  We are supposed to be in the 30s tonight and the rest of the week.  

Steve and I spent the day cleaning up and making things more ready for this cold weather.  I cleaned out the barn and put new straw in the chicken pens.  Steve placed intact straw bales in the turkey pen to block the wind for them.  He also put a couple more bales on the front patio to shield Buddy.  We still need to put some extra plywood panels and straw in the alpaca barn.  Steve got the second door placed on the hens' pen and reinforced the first one on Mr. Washington's pen.  It was knocked off this morning.  Mr. Washington probably chased those poor hens and they knocked it off trying to get away from him.  Hopefully, that won't happen again.  The way the wind is blowing tonight those chickens will be glad of the closed doors.  So will the cats.  They came in tonight while I was feeding everyone at 4pm.  Which tells you how cold it is here, well, for us.  The cats don't usually come in til around 9 or 10 pm when I make my last rounds before bed.

Last week I planted some bulbs, 6 different colors of iris, daffodils and purple onions.  I used some of the straw today to cover them up after I watered them.  I am not sure about watering them.  I don't want them to sprout until they are supposed to in the spring. However, the garlic we planted last year did not come up and I think it did not get enough water.  That is usually the problem around here rather than too much water.


I have been very busy this week getting Christmas shopping done and making my Christmas cards.  I still need to write a letter or at least something inside the cards and buy some envelopes.  Hopefully I will get that done so that they can go out on December 1st.  I went through all the gifts that I bought so far.  I put the gifts for each person in their own bag.  I still have about 4 main gifts and some stocking stuffers to buy.  I may make a trip to Sierra Vista tomorrow to get that done.  Then I will be free to think of Thanksgiving dinner, cleaning and decorating.  


The moon is shining big and bright again tonight.  Buddy will be barking most of the night because he'll be able to see every wild creature out there. If the wind keeps up he may want to hole up behind his little straw shelter but he won't stay there if those old coyotes get too close.  So you better watch out Mr. Coyote!  Big Buddy's after you!

No comments:

Post a Comment