Monday, November 15, 2010

I finally had a rather laid-back weekend.  My two oldest daughters were away for the weekend so I did not cook any big family dinners.  Steve took me out for dinner on Saturday night and, despite the long wait, the food was good.  

We started getting some eggs from the chickens, only two little brown ones, but also from the turkey hen!  What a surprise!  It never really occurred to me that we might be getting eggs from her too.  I took a picture of the turkey eggs next to store bought chicken eggs.  They are slightly bigger and brown spotted.  I think it is pretty cool! 

I also finished another book this morning.  I think it is the best book I have read in a very long time.  I love dogs and it is a dog story.  The title is "Rose in a Storm" by Jon Katz.  I have read others by him but I think this is by far his best.  It is a story of a massive snow storm from the perspective of a border collie.  I put me in mind of some of the old stories I read growing up about Lad and Wolf and other books by Terhune.  But it was better.  Makes me wish I could write as well.

Tinker seems to slowly be improving but I do not know for how long.  He also does not seem to be gaining weight in spite of his pig like eating habits and his extra grain every day.  He still has several days of medication to take.  I will call the vet after that and see what she thinks.

I have been shopping for Christmas.  I was in Tucson on Saturday, after I dropped the girls off at the airport.  I got quite a few gifts and looked at all the cool stuff out for Christmas.  It was already getting to be very crowded in the stores.  I have decided to take inventory and figure out what is left to purchase and get it done before Thanksgiving.  I do not want to have to deal with the traffic and mob scenes after the holiday.

Steve put a new sliding door on the chicken pen.  It is great!  I don't have to listen to Mr. Washington wake the dead every morning and, the best part is, neither do the neighbors! 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment