Sunday, June 6, 2010

There was nothing cool about today.  It was 105* in the shade at 5 pm.  I'm sure it reached about 110 before the sun started its downhill slide.  I spent about an hour in the pool from about 2pm to 3 and still got a little red.  

Steve and I got some work done around here in spite of the heat.  We put a new tarp over the middle barn pen.  We also moved an old pallet into the inside of the pen to use as a perch for the growing turkeys.  It didn't fit exactly the way I had hoped but it is functional.  The turkeys will be off of the ground at night if they choose.  We also moved Caramel and her buckling to the larger pen where Falkor used to stay and reassembled the big plastic shelter for them.  Falkor, being a destructive buck, tore the shelter apart.  I think Caramel and the baby will use it instead of destroying it.  Then Steve brought all three hummingbird feeders inside to be cleaned and refilled.  They are an important source of moisture for the hummingbirds and other birds in this heat.  

The temperature will drop about 30 degrees during the night and that is a really good thing in the summer around here.  It gives all the animals a break from the heat and stress of the day.  I filled water buckets several times and will probably do it again before bedtime.  Buddy dug himself a hole in the muddiest part of the yard and laid down to cool off.  He is not really shedding much yet.  I think now that the heat has jacked up so suddenly, he will start dropping big clumps of hair soon.  I have brushed him a little but not enough.  It is a huge job.  When he really starts shedding I will make an appointment for him to be groomed at Petsmart.  They will have to shave that big "fro-fro" tail of his as it is a big tangled mat. 

Tinker and the little buck have been meeting at the fence to rub noses in the evening.  The buckling jumps up on a bale of straw that is in the pen and Tinker comes over to check him out.  I tried to get a picture the last two nights but they both move as soon as they see me coming.  It is cute enough that I will keep trying through. 


I swam without any pain in my abdomen today and have left off my support since then.  I am headed for the shower shortly though and think I will put my belly support back on as I am starting to feel some discomfort again.  I am glad that it is getting better every day and know that I will not have to wear it too much longer.  I wondered about that for awhile.  


My sunflower has lots more blooms on it and another smaller sunflower has come up.  The pansies are blooming like crazy as are the cactus and other flowers.  Even the big saguaro has buds on its top and branches.  The palo verde trees are bright yellow with blooms.  In fact there is so much pollen in the air that the pool has a thin coating on the surface.  And the flies are everywhere.  The news says that due to our heavy rains this winter, we are supposed to have the biggest invasion of grasshoppers in decades.  Something to look forward to! Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment