Sunday, January 17, 2010

Today was a busy day at Saguaro Hill. The ladies, Shawna, Sara and I, went to Walmart in the morning to by groceries. When we returned, Steve went out to do the weekly poop scooping. When he finished that, it was time to feed the animals. I fed everyone and we moved Caramel back into a pen of her own. She is probably pregnant now so there is no reason to leave her in with Falkor any longer. She needs to have her own space for eating and relaxing without him pestering her and taking her food.

Then it was time to trim hooves on the goats. We did Caramel's first and them Little Bones and Mouth. I held each one on their behinds while Steve did the trimming. We are getting better at this ritual. I sat down and held them between my knees. There is little struggling that way on the part of the goats and it spares my back. Caramel and Mouth did very well. Little Bones protested and wiggled but we got her done just the same. Mouth tried to give me kisses and chewed on my hair! Silly goat! Ha! We will have to do the other three bucks a different day.

After all that, it was time to look at Prince's injured foot. I was really dreading that little chore. We waited til Shawna and Jeff came up with all the grands for dinner. We enlisted Jeff's help again. He is such a good sport and and a great help. Steve and I have gotten Prince used to being captured since we have been giving him shots everyday. So Steve and I went in the pen and caught Prince. In fact, he just stood and waited for us to lay hands on him. He is such a good boy! I put the halter on this time and led him over to the patio area. It is all cement blocks and would be a cleaner place if we had to wash his wound again. He did not like leaving his new buddy, Stewie. Stewie went a little crazy too. He started running around the pen but eventually calmed down. I tied Prince to the fence and then held his neck and ear. He did not fight us or struggle very much. I guess the hardest part for Steve was getting the old bandage off with our pathetically dull scissors.

The wound looked great! No pus and a nice scab. We put more ointment on it and a clean new bandage and sock. Prince was a real prince throughout the whole procedure. I am so thankful and glad he is getting better. He is not limping at all and does not seem to be in any pain. Thank you, Lord!

Now my big concern is having the chicken shelter modified to accommodate the alpacas. Steve says he will get more 4' x 8' plywood panels tomorrow. He will probably have to get more 2"x4" boards too. Jeff said he will help. I think they can make the roof higher and move the shelter against the fence for added support. There is supposed to be a big winter storm headed our way on Tuesday. I sincerely hope they can get this done before that. I don't want my two best alpacas not having shelter from the snow and rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment