Thursday, November 19, 2009

Thanksgiving is only a week away! Amazing! Seems like the stores are already stocked and picked over with Christmas stuff. I don't think there will be anything left to buy on "Black Friday."

At the urging of several people I have decided to breed my goat does next month. I realize that I will once again have to bottle feed whatever kids Caramel has. She had beautiful kids this year though so we'll give her one more try. It will be Little Bones' first breeding so the outcome is rather unpredictable. I will also attempt to sell my bucks. I would like to have only does as they are easier to handle and not so hard on the fences. I hope to get at least one more doe from this year's breeding.

Next week, when Steve is off for Thanksgiving, we will move the goats around and put Falkor and the does together. They can stay together for 6 weeks or so. We'll have to see how Falkor behaves in a larger pasture. I'm hoping that he will be too interested in the does to try and escape or tear the fence down.

The alpacas have calmed down a great deal. I am starting to consider opening up the pasture between the boys and letting them all be together. I have also started feeding each of them in their own space. This seems to cut down on the fighting.

I was a little concerned with my neighbor this past week. They have a huge dog. I'm not sure what kind of a dog it is, maybe a Great Dane Lab mix. It is huge like the danes but colored like a golden lab. It also has the long skinny tail like a dane. Anyway, it is young and huge. The neighbors usually keep it penned up in their front yard. Lately I have noticed them letting the dog out and letting it wonder around their property. This is fine except when I see it racing up and down the fence line with the alpacas. The last time the alpacas sent out alarm calls, I went outside. I just watched the dog and watched the neighbor watch his dog until he called it away from the fence. I sincerely hope that is not repeated. Domestic dogs are the biggest killers of livestock. That is why I have my own livestock guardian dog, Buddy, to keep dogs and other predators away. I may have to consider changing the pasture set up so that Buddy can roam the outer perimeter and keep the alpacas away from the outside where they are vulnerable. That means more fence and, either moving the shelter or building another one. Money, money money!!! Sure would be nice to win that lottery! Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment