Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Ever since we got the new alpacas, Prince and Tinker have been fighting like mad. I mean screaming and chasing each other all over the pasture, biting and kicking. They were so violent that they both fell down a couple of times. I also noticed that Prince was staying in the shelter and Tinker was keeping him there. They started a new poop pile in the shelter which does not make me happy!

Today the violence seemed to be lessened somewhat. They were both in the shelter looking over the fence at the new boys. I am still reluctant to turn them all lose together. The new boys seem so much younger and smaller than Prince and Tinker. Tinker is a big alpaca and while Prince is not as big as he is, Prince can hold his own against his half brother. I don't know if the new boys would fare as well. Stewie is especially small compared to all the others. It would be nice if I could find one more small male alpaca to be company for him. Then I could put all of the big boys together.

I am pretty upset with Falkor lately too. He has been butting with all his might against the gate in his pen. He has managed to move the pen next to him so that the fence is bent and sticking out about 6 inches. I'm afraid if he keeps doing it he will collapse the whole fencing network of all three pens. So I am hoping to get his new pen built very soon, like maybe this weekend.

Today our weather changed drastically. The wind was just blasting and the tempurature dropped to about 79 instead of 85 or so that it has been. Mellie and Little Bones spent a lot of time inside today. Falkor hid by the side of the barn when he wasn't butting the fence. It is only supposed to be 50 degrees in Tucson tonight so it will probably be cooler here. We are up higher at 4800 feet and, of course, there is the wind still. So we will get straw bales this weekend too. The cost of straw has gone from $6 last year to $7.50 per bale now. At least I have my business account now. So hopefully all these higher cost will help with taxes this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment