Sunday, March 4, 2012

This has been a busy week as usual.  March has come in like a lion, blasting away at us with 30 mph winds.  It has also warmed up some during the day to about 80 degrees.  I also heard that we have a negative reading as far as humidity goes.  If you can believe it our humidity was at -8%.  The sky seems to be white instead of blue.  I started watering the raised garden bed in the back so that there will be some moisture when I get ready to plant my veggies and flowers.

Tuesday I went to Sierra Vista and got a bunch of books for research and reading.  Some of the books I wanted are at the Benson Library so I may have to go there tomorrow after I take my daughter to work.  Most of yesterday was spent reading and brushing up on writing skills and research methods. I spent some time on my new laptop adding to my diary and proofreading the 2 or 3 paragraphs I have written for my book.

A friend recommended a couple of books to help with my writing so I looked them up online today.  One of the authors, Sandra Dallas, writes books about Colorado.  I will probably get a couple of hers to get an idea how to write about Arizona.  The other author she recommended was a little more difficult to find because I was looking up the wrong name.  I was looking for David Merrill when I should have been looking for David Morrell.  I did eventually find the books she was talking about.  They look like good references also.

My grandson climbed up into my raised bed today and helped me fill the seed starter trays with potting mix.  We had to move indoors to plant the seeds because of the wind.  We planted 3 trays with veggies and flowers, watered them and put on the clear plastic lids.  They are like miniature green houses sitting on my book shelves.  The sun shines in that south facing Arizona room so the plants should germinate fairly quickly.  Then when they are big enough I will put them in the outside raised bed to be beat up by the wind and the elements.  I will never be able to skip one day watering if I ever want to get any tomatoes or squash.  The Arizona sun is brutal and takes no prisoners, unless you count those of us who are foolish enough to try to garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment