Wednesday, February 9, 2011

We are back to something near normal.  It was a beautiful day here in Southern Arizona today.  Steve figured out where the valve was to turn off the flooding water in the barn.  We were very happy about that as we do not have to turn off the water to the house after all.  Steve is also glad that he can now take his time fixing the pipe and the faucet.  I am glad because now I know where to turn the water on so that I can use my big sink to wash fleeces and fill cat dishes once the problems are fixed.  Thank the Lord for small miracles! Ha!

I finished another muumuu for summer.  Today the girls and I went to Sierra Vista and I got some good bargains at Dillard's.  I found a fuzzy red robe with scottie dogs on it that would be good for a swimsuit cover-up.  It was marked down 70% and when I got it to the register they took another 30% off of that.  I ended up paying $10 for a robe that was originally $50!  I also got too tops marked own from $30 to $8.99 each.  I feel like I've just about got my summer wardrobe complete.  Now if I could just find a swimsuit.... 

I have to make a decision about shearing the alpacas soon.  The sheep shearer I used last year will be here around April 7th.  There is also a new guy who just does alpacas.  He will also trim their teeth which all of mine need done.  I feel some loyalty to Danny because he has been here a couple of times, does a good job and is a nice guy who cares about the comfort of the animals.  The new guy charges less and does the teeth so, well, I don't know.  I guess I will call the new guy tomorrow and see if he can fit my small farm in.  If he cannot, then I guess I can still get Danny.  

I sold some of my eggs to Ed at the Benson feed store.  He used to pay $1/dz, but now he is paying $1.50 a dozen!  I was excited about that and took in 6 dozen.  We did not exchange cash or anything.  He gave me $9 off the cost of a bag of chicken feed.  So I paid $5.50 for the feed instead of the usual $14.50.  I guess I will try to do that every week.  I hate for the eggs to go to waste.  Steve said a guy at work wants some too.  He will have to pay $2/dz though.  I collected 15 eggs today alone.  That is more than the normal 9 or 10 and they really pile up when you get that many on a daily basis.  I also lost a hen.  I guess she got tired of Mr. Washington chasing her all the time.  She literally flew the coop! Ha!  My neighbor said she saw her over at her house the day the pipe broke.  I told her not to worry about it cuz the hen would peck her if she caught her.  She pecked me good the last time she got out.  I've heard the coyotes pretty close lately so I doubt that hen is still around anyway.


I am considering getting a couple more alpacas too.  Steve is not too enthusiastic about that idea.  I found two bred females, a female with a male cria at her side and a herdsire that are boarding at a neighbor's farm.  The lady who owns them is going through a divorce and only wants $5000 for all of them.  One of the females is jet black just like Kardigan and the other one looks a lot like a good match for Stewie.  It would take a lot of work, more fences and more shelters, to prepare to get them.  I'd also have to make payments.  So more decisions!  And more commitment to my business.  More work, more commitment, more money, more vet costs = more alpacas.  How much do I really love alpacas? 

I

No comments:

Post a Comment