Sunday, February 20, 2011

Our weather has taken a turn for the cold and wintery.  Blustery winds and snow clouds have colored the last two days but so far, no rain to speak of.  

Steve and I talked and decided that getting more alpacas was not a good idea.  We also decided to try goats one more time.  I found a couple of Nigerian dwarf wethers (neutered males) on Craig's list.  That was on Thursday.  I called on Friday.  The man selling them was so glad to find someone who wanted to keep them on a farm.  Most of the calls he had gotten were from people with "funny accents" he said, who wanted to make dinner out of his little goats.  He was very nice and Steve and I liked the little goats so we brought them home.  They are now in our front pasture and seem to be adjusting well.  They were leaping up on the straw bale and playing games yesterday so I do not think they are very stressed from the move.  They are named "Frankie" and "Georgie".  I think Frankie fits OK but I'm not sure about Georgie.  It doesn't seem to fit this friendly little brown and white fellow.  So we shall see what his personality reveals.  Frankie is black and white and I am not sure that they "wethered" him properly.  He sure exhibits signs of a buck.  He has a beard and he is a little aggressive and not as friendly as the brown and white one.  Neither one of them was properly de-horned.  Frankie looks like a unicorn with one big fat horn and the other one has two little curly-ques on his head.  It doesn't really matter as they are not mean and not big enough to hurt us.  Falkor was big enough to pin Steve up against the fence and his horns were awesome.  Not so with these guys.  

I was so excited to get these new little goats.  I guess I missed my angoras more than I thought.  I am trying to get in touch with a lady who had does for sale.  Maybe I will get a few little girls soon.  

We moved all of the alpacas back together in the pasture behind the house to make room for the little goats out front.  I caught Prince with the help of Steve and the girls.  The halter was too small so I had to wrap the lead around his head like a halter to lead him out back.  We penned Buddy up in the front yard so he would not interfere.  Steve went ahead of me and Prince to open gates and the girls followed behind Stewie so that he would follow me and Prince.  There was much spitting and posturing on the part of all the boys as they had their little reunion.  Prince and Kardigan had a bit of a tussle that involved rearing up and neck wrestling but it did not last long.  Cimarron and Stewie stayed out of the way.  They all did a lot of head raising and spitting the first time I fed them but peace seems to be the norm for now.  I was afraid that they would fight and hurt each other the way Tinker and Prince did before, but, thankfully, they all seem to be glad to be back together and in a bigger pasture.  I am so glad!

My girls were off to the Ren Faire in Apache Junction, AZ this morning.  It is cool for once so they should have a great time.  I plan on getting some of Kardigan's fleece carded into rolags today so that I can spin some tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment