Wednesday, September 7, 2011

We spent Labor Day weekend visiting friends in Northern Arizona.  We drove the I-10 through Tucson and went up state route 77 through Globe and then, in Showlow, turned east on state route 260 to Lakeside-Pinetop.  It is beautiful desert country.  We had to drive through the Salt River Canyon which is a mini Grand Canyon.  I made Steve drive through the canyon because it is winding and steep but I did do some of the driving.  It took about 4 hours.

The guys played golf both days we were there, Saturday and Sunday.  My friend and I hit the antique shops and other interesting stores.  It was cooler up there than down here in Southern Arizona.  So we enjoyed the reprieve from the heat.  Also, the scenery it quite different in the White Mountains.  There are lots of pine trees and lakes.  Beautiful!  Thanks to Ron and Valli for their friendship and hospitality!  

The trip back home went smoothly and without incident.  We came back a different way.  From Globe we took state route 70 to Safford and then 191 back down to the I-10 which comes out east of Benson.  That way we avoided the traffic and the drive through Tucson.  Also we got to see different scenery and some big mountains.  Mt. Turnbull is over 8000 feet  and Mt Graham is over 10,000 feet.  The drive home was mostly cloudy and overcast.  I was also taking pictures from the moving car.  I didn't think they turned out so bad considering those circumstances.

Home again, home again, jigged-y jog! Ha!  All is well at home.  The turkeys are still gobbling, the chickens still laying eggs.  The alpacas are leaving too much hay on the ground so I will let them eat that up before I give them more.  Buddy managed to stay away from skunks and the goats are still butting heads and messing up their shelter.


We had another scaly visitor last evening.  A small rattlesnake slithered across the sidewalk in the front yard and decided to take a nap there.  Not a good choice on his part.  Steve nearly walked right on him!  When he did see him he yelled for me.  Don't ask me why.  I went and got the shovel and chopped its head off.  Sorry but small young snakes are more dangerous and harder to see than the great big ones.  I've been watching where I step ever since!

No comments:

Post a Comment