Friday, July 8, 2011

It is muggy and hot this morning.  It is overcast too which makes it worse.  

I got the new alpaca halters.  Yesterday I got tired of waiting for Steve to help me fit them on the boys so I took matters into my own hands, literally! Ha!  I quietly went to the pasture and trapped all the boys in one side of their shelter.  I then managed to catch every one of them, try on his halter and spray bug spray in his ears.  I caught Prince first.  He is the oldest and seems to have had the best halter training (kudos to my friend Liz).  His halter fit pretty good and he stood perfectly still once I caught him and allowed me to do all that was necessary.  Good boy, Prince!  

The others were not so cooperative.  I caught Kardigan, the black one next, only because he seems the most desperate to get away and the least cooperative once he is caught.  Then, Cimmaron, who is white faced and rose gray.  And finally little Stewie.  He seems like he is the most afraid but also the youngest and not yet set in his ways.  I think, if I worked with Stewie, he might make a good ambassador alpaca for our farm.   

I did not sell anything at the Farmer's Market last weekend.  I think it is just too hot for people to even consider buying fleece.  So I have decided to order some finished products and go back in September.  Today I ordered some blankets, gloves and toys from a company in Florida.  Most of their stuff is imported and they have really good prices.  I have also contacted a company in California who says they make things to order from alpaca.  I am waiting for an email back from them so that I can log on to their site and order some of their products.  I am excited about this.  I hope that my business will grow and eventually make a profit.  If I cannot afford to buy more alpacas, at least I can promote their products and benefits.  And it is something I can do for myself.   
It is great actually touching the alpacas and talking to them.  I feed them everyday, twice, but I don't always spend time with them.  I should do it more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment