Monday, June 13, 2011

It has been awhile since I wrote and I apologize.  Seems like I am apologizing a lot lately but never mind.  It seems like it has been terribly windy every day forever!  This morning it was very calm so I was able to hang clothes out to dry.  Of course, by the time I brought them in, the wind was blasting again!  While the rest of the country suffers from record rainfall and tornadoes, here in Arizona we are either baking in 100 degree heat or frying in the largest wildfires the state has ever known.  It is dustier than dirt and with 3% humidity, well, it is damn dry!  

I have started attending the local farmer's market with my alpaca fleece and mohair for sale.  It is only 3 hours on Saturday mornings, 9-12.  I have met some nice people and actually sold 3 fleeces and an apron.  One lady brought me two of her own aprons.  She wants me to add pockets and the waterproof lining to them that I have on my aprons.  The apron that sold is the one with the chickens hanging on the fence.  I plan on making at least one more apron this week and finishing the ones for the lady.  I found a book in one of my farm magazines that teaches how to make rugs by hand from your own fleece.  I think I will use some of the money I made at the market to purchase that.  I really hate having all that fleece in my barn just sitting there.

My grandson, Jake, had surgery done to correct his short heel cords.  Both of his legs are in casts for 8 weeks.  He decided his casts would be black.  Kids get to pick things like that these days.  His mom bought silver and gold markers so we could all autograph the casts.  He seems to be doing fine but hasn't learned to use the crutches yet.  He really isn't supposed to be using his legs at all yet so there is plenty of time.  He'll be out of the casts before there is time to worry anyway.

Sunday morning I had two dead chickens.  I sort of expected one to die.  She was my little wild escape artist.  She got out of the front pasture and was trying to get back in.  I found her all crouched down with her head just under the fence.  I guess Buddy probably scared her to death, although, to his credit, there were no signs that he had touched her at all.  The other hen that died was very surprising.  I have no clue what happened to her.  I found her on her side in her nest box.  Her head was bent at a weird angle as if she was in attack mode.  The garbage person does not come until Wednesday so to avoid the stench of death and attracting lots of insects, I put both hens in a plastic garbage bag and placed them in the freezer.

I still have had no phone calls about the alpacas or the turkeys.  Someone did ask me how much I wanted for the alpacas at the Farmer's market.  It was kind of a shock, but I realized that I am not that anxious to sell them.  They are all getting along fine and are no problem.  Sometimes it doesn't seem like much of a farm when there aren't any new babies being born.  I certainly have no shortage of eggs however.  The frig is full of them.  I guess I should take some over to the feed store or the local food bank.  

No comments:

Post a Comment