Sunday, June 26, 2011

The fires seem to be almost under control.  It is a relief but we still must be vigilant until the rains come.   The weather has been extremely hot, over 100 degrees every day this week.  I noticed the wind had changed this morning when I was out feeding the animals.  It has been coming from the north or southwest for this whole dry time.  This morning it was coming gently from the southeast.  That is usually a sign that moisture and the monsoon rains are coming.  July isn't far away.  I hope the weather people are wrong and the rain comes at the usual time on the 4th of July instead of waiting two weeks into the month as they are predicting.  Many cities have canceled their fireworks because of the extreme fire danger.  That is just fine with me.

I sold another fleece at the Farmer's Market yesterday.  This time it was a fleece from one of my little angora goats.  It was the first sheering from one of them.  I got $20 for it, so a profit this time since it only cost $10 to have him sheered.  I also sold some rolags that I had made from some white alpaca fleece.  That was one ounce of fleece for $5.  Many people are stopping to talk about alpacas or the fleece.  My business cards are being asked for and given out.  All of this is a good thing for my business.  I also found a company that I can order alpaca products from wholesale.  They are having a special sale if I order by July 19.  Then I will have hats and gloves, scarves, socks and toys available for sale in the fall.  I am telling people that too.  This week I hope to have time to make a couple more aprons and maybe some Fourth of July pillows for sale next week.


The girls went to another Steampunk event.  They looked great as you can see by the pictures.  The grands and I played in Steve's pickup while the girls got ready to go.


Steve and Logan found the tiniest baby bird I have ever seen in the yard yesterday.  I was at the Farmer's Market and they texted me a message that one of the turkey eggs had hatched!  Ha!  I knew as soon as I saw that tiny thing that it was not a turkey!  I put a quarter next to it so you can get an idea how big it isn't!  I think it is a quail baby.  We have lots of Gambrell quail running wild around our property.

No comments:

Post a Comment