Friday, October 14, 2011

Farmer's Market wasn't so hot last weekend.  The city of Benson was having their annual "Butterfield Days".  I think that diverted people who would normally come to the market.  I did sell some fleece to a lady who was recovering from breast cancer.  She wanted to use it in her bra instead of the usual stuff because she said it was warm, light and comfortable.  What an excellent way to use alpaca fleece!  

On Monday I visited the home of one of the ladies I have met at the market.  She raises the vegetables she sells in a greenhouse that she and her husband built and I wanted to see that.  She was a gracious host and shared the greenhouse and lots of her agricultural knowledge with me.  Thank you Lorna!

On Wednesday my good friend from Lakeside, AZ came down for a visit.  We spent the day over in Tombstone.  I bought a new necklace of sterling silver with a little koko-peli pendant on it.  Koko-peli is made of turquoise and another brown stone.  I love it.  And Tombstone is always fun.  We looked in the haunted "Birdcage Hotel", ate lunch at the Crystal Palace Saloon and, of course, shopped at all the old interesting shops.

I have been wanting another goat but really hadn't found one.  Then I got a phone call from my neighbor.  She said her female goat had died and she had a wether all by himself that she was feeling sorry for.  She asked me if I wanted him! Ha!  So now I have another little goat.  He is beautiful and has blue eyes like Frankie.  Afraid my neighbor didn't have much imagination when she named him though.  She said his name was "Billy".  So now Frankie and Georgie and Billy all live in my pasture together.


On a sad note, my black alpaca, Kardigan, is not doing so well.  He has had a cough for awhile which I thought was due to the pellets.  His cough has not gone away since I changed them back to timothy hay however.  The last 2 weeks or so I noticed he is losing weight and the last 2 days he seems to have labored breathing.  I made an appointment at the vet which is on Wednesday.  I don't know what is wrong but I think it may be the Valley Fever has struck again.  I really hate it when an animal gets sick or is in pain.  I hope it is something less serious than Valley Fever.  And I'm wondering if all the alpacas are eventually going to get it.  I will ask the vet about changing their pasture or something so they don't get it.  I will keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment